Hope you all had a good 2019. Let's meme! Give me a topic to talk about and I'll talk about in in my year-in-review post - anything! Fandom, non-fandom, HIT ME. And in turn, point me at a post of yours I can interact with or a small drabble I can write you and I'll try to pay it back!
tl;dr: WORK!!! NEW YEAR!!!! CHOCOLATE BOX!!!! ELASTICSEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! COOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OTHER PEOPLE IN MY LIFE HAVING SADNESS = NOT GOOD FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AT LEAST I'M LUCKY AND DOING GOOD; ILU ALL
There's the traditional Yuletide-app style Chocolate Box 2019 app, which gives you the tagset and all prompts; updated every 15 minutes as long as my computer is turned on.
There's also the new, experimental, Elasticsearch powered Chocolate Box Thing Searcher, which lets you do full text search of either fandom name/relationship OR (!!!) the whole text of people's prompts. Never fail to find your spanking-loving fellow participants again.
I have no energy to even think of my own signup, so falling over now.
Hilarious noir AU with Roach as the POV character. Amazing voice! Also, NOIR ROACH.
Don't you know you're life itself? (The History Boys)
Such a good slice-of-life of the boys grown up; great voices all around.
Small Favours (The Mummy)
JONATHAN. I cackled all the way through.
Achilles' Hell (John Wick, rated E)
Hot, hot loyalty porn with bonus age-gap and ASSASSIN LOGIC.
Exceeding Set Tolerances (The Culture)
I could read more than just 1.8K of sentient warship, but if 1.8K is all I'm going to get, I'm going to read the hell out of it.
On the Ice (The Left Hand Of Darkness)
Perfect scenes from Genly and Estraven's time on the ice, with some great humanity to the character voices.
The Harvest of Orhoch (The Left Hand Of Darkness)
Mythology and history from Gethen, in such keeping with the book.
* Back to work, alas, alas. Then again: all my boss and I did in the absolutely empty office was talk rubbish about hockey and do nothing, so that wasn't too bad. I feel utterly braindead from going in, though.
* Yuletide recs will have to wait until tomorrow or the weekend, methinks; I am a bit dead, though I've put some effort into exploring the wilds of the collection and commenting where I can. I wonder if I've hit any fics from y'all on the flist! Have I? I doubt it – I sense that, down a certain space opera and judging from the rouge appearance of people's names in kudos lists, that we don't quite share read/write fandoms as much these last few years.
* I am hastily, drunkenly nominating for Chocolate Box, but I am the world's worst exchange participant outside of Yuletide. Sorry, mods...
* Stealing another low-key you-do-me-and-I'll-do-you meme from thefridayfive:
1. What is your favourite food?
2. What is your favourite food preparation method?
3. What is your favourite cuisine or style of cooking?
4. Do you have any dietary restrictions and if so what are they?
5. If you could introduce the whole world to one ingredient to improve their culinary experience, what would that be and why?
The Final Lullaby of Sofia Mendes (3384 words) by Anonymous
Fandom: The Sparrow - Mary Doria Russell
Characters: Emilio Sandoz, Sofia Mendes
Emilio learned past tense from songs of regret, future tense from songs of longing, and present tense from songs of love.
Sofia learned the command form from lullabies.
And then my treat:
You Need A Big God. (1402 words) by Anonymous
Fandom: Small Gods - Terry Pratchett
Rating: General Audiences
Characters: Om (Small Gods), Brutha (Small Gods)
Om and Brutha, afterwards.Small Gods! SMALL GODS! And Brutha being essentially perfectly himself. :D GO READ IT NOW.
I'm a little braindead from staying up too late last night, so recs will wait till tomorrow methinks. I've written 6 (!) this year, most of which will probably be IMMINENTLY OBVIOUS to anyone who knows me...
Trying to take a nap, but instead stealing this from thefridayfive: open to flist! Ask me and I'll ask you the same thing in return. Feel free to twist these into fandom specific questions :D
1. Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas – which one do you use?
2. Do you own an ugly Christmas sweater?
3. Do you celebrate the Winter Solstice?
4. Now that you are ‘in the know,’ what would you leave out for St. Nick on the 24th?
5. Tired of the snow and icky weather yet? For those fortunate folks in the other hemisphere, are you tired of the humidity and hot weather?
Open game: any other questions about the end of the year/holiday rituals/&c.
Work: has been hellish, even though I realise it doesn't have to be. It's still 9-5, but I'm the sort of person who can't look at a thing done badly and not want to fix it. I've definitely been more stressed over the firefighting rescue job we're doing on this other team's project than I need to be, and all told it's making me just want to go a completely different direction. I don't love coding, and sometimes the job feels like golden handcuffs. Don't know what I would do, though! I just know that, this taken in consideration with everything else in my life, it's time for a midlife U-turn fairly soon. Harder when I don't really have a target destination in mind, but...
Random meme: Why not, right? I'll do you if you do me, &c.
1. What made you start writing fanfic?
2. Which of your own fanfics have you reread the most?
4. You’ve posted a fic anonymously. How would someone be able to guess that you’d written it?
5. Name three stories you found easy to write.
7. What’s your ratio of hits to kudos?
8. What do your fic bookmarks say about you?
10. What kind of relationships are you most interested in writing?
11. For E-rated fic, what are some things your characters keep doing?
12. Name three favorite characters to write.
13. You’re applying for the fanfic writer of the year award. What five fanfics do you put in your portfolio?
14. Question of your choice!
Dear Yuletide author,
Thank you for writing for me! I hope you have a fun Yuletide - if you have an idea that you want to write, the details in my letters are always optional: I'm an omnivorous reader who doesn't really have squicks, and I'd love to read anything you come up with!( The Culture, The Sparrow, Small Gods, The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, The Bedlam Stacks )